- "Demographic Engineering and International Conflict: Evidence from China and the USSR" (with Lachlan A. McNamee). 2019. International Organization 73(2), 291-327.
- Awarded International Organization's 2019 Robert Keohane Award for the best paper written by a junior scholar.
- Awarded the best paper by a graduate student at the Pacific International Politics Conference, 2018.
- "'Sons of the Soil': A Model of Assimilation and Population Control" (with Avidit Acharya and David D. Laitin). 2018. Journal of Theoretical Politics, 30(2), 184-223.
Works in Progress
- "State Building as an Agency Problem: Redistributive Response to Ethnic Riots."
- "Endogenizing Ethnic Demography: Foreign Intervention and State Building in Xinjiang."
- "Ethnicity and Redistribution: Evidence from a Conjoint Experiment on Chinese Bureaucrats" (with Zhongyuan Wang).