- "Demographic Engineering and International Conflict: Evidence from China and the USSR" (with Lachlan A. McNamee). 2019. International Organization 73(2), 291-327.
- Awarded the best paper by a graduate student at the Pacific International Politics Conference, 2018.
- "'Sons of the Soil': A Model of Assimilation and Population Control" (with Avidit Acharya and David D. Laitin). 2018. Journal of Theoretical Politics, 30(2), 184-223.
- "Go West Young Han: Minority Rebellion and Militarized Farmers."
- "Stay West Young Han: State Response to Sons of the Soil Riots."
- "Secessionism and Extension of Property Rights."
- "Embittered Winners: Rights Deprivation and Ideological Distortion" (with Jidong Chen).
Works in Progress
- "A Model of State Response to Sons of the Soil Insurgencies."
- "Perceptions of Justice and Ethnic Conflict: Evidence from a Survey Experiment."