- "Demographic Engineering and International Conflict: Evidence from China and the USSR" (with Lachlan A. McNamee). 2018. Forthcoming at International Organization.
- Awarded the best paper by a graduate student at the Pacific International Politics Conference, 2018.
- "'Sons of the Soil': A Model of Assimilation and Population Control" (with Avidit Acharya and David D. Laitin). 2018. Journal of Theoretical Politics, 30(2), 184-223.
- "State Capacity, Encirclement, and Ethnic Violence: Theory and Evidence from China."
- "Stay West Young Han: Secessionism, Settlement, and State Capacity in China."
- "Inequality and Ingroup Favoritism: Theory and Evidence from China."
- "Embittered Winners: Rights Deprivation and Ideological Distortion" (with Jidong Chen).
Works in Progress
- "A Model of State Response to Sons of the Soil Insurgencies."
- "Perceptions of Justice and Ethnic Conflict: Evidence from a Survey Experiment."